The Beginning of an Interesting Century (1990s–2010)
- Nov 3: Jeffrey Lynch is elected the 42nd President of the United States.
- Nov 5: President Lynch is reelected.
1999: The Seretech Decision
- A 3-month truckers’ strike causes food riots in New York City.
- When a mob attacks a Seretech Med-Research truck hauling infectious medical wastes in the mistaken belief that it carries food, Seretech security forces use lethal force to protect it. 20 Seretech employees and 200 rioters are killed.
- The Supreme Court upholds Seretech’s actions as responsible for saving thousands of lives, rather than costing hundreds.
- Scientists are surprised to discover a distinct new species of ferret in North America. Dubbed the Century Ferret due to the time of discovery, it is later concluded to be a “Spike Baby”, a premature awakening.
- Late: The radical eco-group TerraFirst! attacks a Shiawase, Inc. nuclear power plant. Security forces repel the attack, and Shiawase claims that public law enforcement is insufficient to protect it and similar large corporations.
- Nov 7: Martin Hunt is elected the 43rd President of the United States
2001: The Shiawase Decision
- The Shiawase court decision establishes extraterritoriality for megacorps.
- Aug-Oct: NASA Mars probes photograph pyramids and a skeleton on the surface of Mars. The information is given the highest classification (Top Secret:Veil).
- New tech enables production of optical chips that are not affected by EMP.
- The United States government invokes “eminent domain” to claim property, then licenses these claims to corporate sponsors. Much of the property claimed is part of Native American reservations.
- Libya attacks Israel with chemical weapons.
- Nuclear meltdown at Dungeness in Kent (England) creates a localized irradiated zone.
- Nov 2: Philip Bester is elected the 44th President of the United States.
2005: New York City Quake
- Israel nukes Libya, destroying half its cities.
- Aug 12: A major earthquake hits New York City, killing 200,000 and causing 200 billion in damage. It will take 40 years to rebuild.
- United Nations moves to Geneva.
- East Coast Stock Exchange moves to Boston.
- Conservative government in the United Kingdom establishes regional parliaments in Scotland and Wales.
2005-6: Korean War
- Japanacorps push the ROK (Republic of Korea, aka. South Korea) into a war with the DPRK (Democratic Peoples’ Republic of Korea, aka. Communist North Korea).
- Early 2006: DPRK launches nukes at Japan, but they do not reach their targets.
- Late 2006: DPRK is overrun. Japan proclaims Japanese Imperial State. The JIS deploys solar-power-collection satellites to beam microwave energy to remote receptors.
- Drug cartel leaders Ortega, Ramos, and Ortiz buy a resource development company and name it ORO.
- Nov 4: Jesse Garrety is elected the 45th President of the United States
- Dallas, TX: The United Oil Industries headquarters is stormed by a mob of transients, demanding that corporations be held accountable for the crime rate and poor economy. The governor of Texas sends in the Texas Ranger Assault Teams to deal with the threat; afterward, the state legislature grants corporate security forces carte blanche in dealing with armed intruders.
2009: Lone Eagle incident
- May 5: United Oil receives rights to 25% of national parklands and 10% of Indian lands.
- Sovereign American Indian Movement (SAIM) seizes the Shiloh launch facility in Montana. Delta Team retakes the site, but not before the terrorists launch a Lone Eagle ICBM at Russia. The missile never hits. No one knows why.
- Re-Education and Relocation Act (Nepean Act in Canada) round up Native Americans into “reeducation centers”. Native Americans are spared, ironically, the worst of VITAS because of this internment.
- King Charles III is crowned in Westminster Abbbey.
2010: VITAS 1
- Virally Induced Toxic Allergy Syndrome (VITAS) first appears in New Delhi, India, and kills off a quarter of the world’s population.
- Mexico City: Citizen’s Action Committees (i.e., organized mobs) burn entire sections of the city.
- The Yakuza of Seattle is given official recognition as the Dungeness Crabs of the 87th Prefecture by the oyabun of the Watada-rengo in Chiba, Japan. This approval of and support for their activities allows the Seattle Yakuza to grow rapidly and expand its operations.
- In Vatican City, Pope John Paul III dies suddenly of the VITAS plague. He is succeeded by archconservative Cardinal Vitali who takes the name John Paul IV.
- Keruba and BMW start the first megacorporate war, decimating each other. This inspired other AAA’s to invest in defenses, set a precedent of no-holds-barred fighting for corporate war, and taught the world that corporate war was bad for everyone’s business. In conjunction with the chaotic repercussions of the Awakening inspired, this would lead to the formation of the ICC.
- BMW bought by Michel Beloit, who would make it the premier industrial power of Europe by incorporating Saeder Munitions and Krupp Manufacturing.
- October 31: Québec secedes from Canada.
Rude Awakening (2011-2020)
2011: The Year of Chaos
- Unexplained Genetic Expression (UGE) — elven and dwarven babies are born to human parents.
On January 1, in Vatican City, during the traditional New Year’s Message from St. Peter’s Square, Pope John-Paul IV denounces metahumans as abominations in the eyes of God.
- Jan: The government of Mexico collapses. Thousands of refugees cross the border into Texas.
- England’s Sizewell B nuclear power station suffers critical meltdown, resulting in a total death count of 17,000.
- A nuclear power plant in Dounreay, Scotland suffers a meltdown, creating the Scottish Irradiated Zone.
- Jul: Operation Discovery, an 8-man Mars Mission, makes planetfall and begins its survey.
- Dec 24, 00:00:01: The Awakening
- Saeletra makes its one and only appearance.
- Japan: The Great Dragon Ryumyo appears on Mt. Fuji. Hundreds of Japanese bullet-train passengers witness the event.
- Abilene, DC: Daniel “Howling Coyote” Coleman leaves the Abilene Re-Education Center, along with all the other Native American captives. No shots fired at them hit, and they walked through the gates, with no trace of their passage visible later.
- Australia experiences the first “mana storm” which sweeps through the Outback, killing hundreds.
- France: The Auvergne volcano erupts.
- The operations module of Operation Discovery crashes on Mars, killing 5 of the 8 astronauts.
- Dec 26: Ley-lines and standing stones re-emerge all over Britain. First sighting of the Great Welsh Dragon, Celedyr, in Caerleon.
2012: The Big D
- In the Czech Republic, Czech Catholics, responding to the Pope’s denouncement of metahumans, rise up against the Vatican.
- In France, the FCC opposes Pope John-Paul IV’s declaration against metahumans, creating a permanent rift between the FCC and the Vatican.
- Jan 27: Dunkelzahn’s first appearance in Cherry Creek Lake in Denver, CO. 12-hour interview with Holly Brighton, explaining how magic has returned to the world.
- Lofwyr appears in Germany and becomes a corporate player.
- England’s King Charles III abdicates in favor of his only surviving son, George.
- Formation of Hildebrandt-Kleinfort-Bernal (HKB) megacorporation in England, an increasingly major power in world financial affairs.
- In March, in Vatican City, a Papal Bull is issued confirming Pope John Paul IV’s position against metahumans and further denouncing all things magical as “unholy and ungodly by their very nature.”
- First televised Combat Biker match (Baton Rouge, LA).
- In Vatican City, Pope John Paul IV dies in his sleep. He is replaced by a moderate Brazillian cardinal who takes the name John XXV. Despite this change in power, several Irish Catholic bishops who had refused to accept John Paul IV’s denouncement of metahumans, break from the Catholic church and instead go to the Church of Ireland, a small splinter church.
2014: Native American Nations
- Daniel Howling Coyote announces formation of the NAN and Sovereign Tribal Council.
- Following magically enhanced terrorist activity, the governments of the U.K. and Eire sign the Treaty of Galway establishing the United Free Republic of Ireland.
- May 5: Francisco Pavón of the Azatlán party becomes first directly elected president of Mexico.
- Mexico becomes Aztlan, backed by ORO corporation.
- Hong Kong breaks free from mainland China and proclaims independence. The British government uses its influence to protect Hong Kong, but is duped by megacorporations and loses face over the incident.
- Schism splits the Irish Republican Army (IRA) into two factions: the Provisional IRA (led by Liam O’Connor, a “spike baby” elf) and the Official IRA. The Provisional IRA is incorporated into the state security apparatus, where it counters Protestant paramilitaries. It would grow into the core of the Tir Republican Corps (TRC).
2016: The Indian War
- Howling Coyote declares war.
- Redondo peak erupts and buries Los Alamos, New Mexico.
- USA President Garrety assassinated by William Springer (never captured). Also assassinated: Russian President Nikolai Chelenko, Prime Minister Lena Rodale of the United Kingdom, Minister Chaim Schon of Israel.
- VP William Jarman passes Executive Order 17-321, the extermination of the Native American tribes.
- Ares buys NASA.
- A major oil spill in the North Sea creates the Scottish Fringe Toxic Zone.
2017: The Great Ghost Dance
- Aug 17, 10:32 am: Mts. Hood, Ranier, St. Helens, and Adams erupt.
2018: Treaty of Denver
- Aztlan invited to join the Sovereign Tribal Council of the Native American Nations. As a member nation, it participates in the Treaty of Denver.
- The Treaty of Denver resolves the dispute between the United States and the Native American Nations. Denver is divided between the US and four members of the NAN: Aztlan, Pueblo, Sioux, and Ute. Denver and the surrounding territory becomes the Front Range Free Zone, a technically sovereign state governed by the Council of Denver.
- First generation ASIST developed by Dr Hosato Hikita, ESP systems, Chicago.
- Civil war in China results in yet another fractured nation: Manchuria, Xinjiang, Guangxi, the Canton Confederation.
- The spaceplane America disintegrates in orbit, crashing in Longreach, Australia and killing 200.
- First successful cyberlimb — Leonora Bartoli, violinist
- Aden destroys Tehran in response to the Ayatollah’s declaration of jihad against the metahuman races.
- Ares launches Apollo space program.
Brave New World (2021-2030)
- Sheila Blatavska establishes the Atlantean Foundation.
- Apr 30: Goblinization strikes 10% of the world population. Martial law, concentration camps in the US. Yomi Island (Philippines) in the Japanese Empire. England’s King George VII is declared dead, rumors persist that he was killed when he began changing into a troll.
2022: VITAS 2
- Race riots occur around the world.
- Electronic news mag Data coins the term “Awakened”.
- VITAS 2 claims another 10%.
- Cuba, Jamaica, Grenada, Bermuda and the Virgin Islands join together to form the Caribbean League.
- Los Angeles is rocked by gang warfare, eventually suppressed by National Guardsmen. The city’s worst slums are walled off, soon renamed “El Infierno” by local residents.
- The Internetwork Transmission Control Council (ITCC) is formed from the remains of the FCC as a self-regulating oversight body for the responsible management of the communications industry. This comes to include the networks that made up the Internet as well as the content.
2023: Metahuman rights
- Humanis Policlub founded.
- The ICC moves to the Freedom space habitat, renames itself the Corporate Court, and grants itself authority over all extra-territorial corporations.
- US Supreme Court grants equal rights to metahumans.
- Riots over hoarded VITAS 2 serum level the Los Angeles neighborhood of Watts.
- In Fatima, Portugal, during a visit by Pope John XXV, a new apparition of the Virgin Mary appears before thousands of witnesses. This event reinforces the Pope’s declaration against metahumans and further pushes the Portuguese Catholic community into a conservative mindset.
- First commercial simsense.
- After a prolonged succession dispute, George Edward Richard Windsor-Hanover becomes King George VIII in England.
- Pope John XXV issues ‘In Imago Dei’ encyclical: Metahumans have souls and are capable of salvation. Magical abilities are not inherently evil. Spirits are manifestations of nature (gray area).
- The U.S. presidential election is held across the Internet for the first time, using the experimental “remote-vote” system.
2025: Lone Star Seattle
- UCLA establishes the first undergraduate program in occult studies.
- Lone Star takes over law enforcement in Seattle.
- The United Kingdom Constitution Act is passed in the United Kingdom, creating the office of Lord Protector.
- Texas A&M and MIT both add occult studies, and rename themselves as Texas AM&M (Agriculture, Medicine, and Magic) and MIT&T (Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgy).
- The Mafia Commissione appoints Brian O’Malley from Milwaukee as the head of the Finnigan family and Don of Seattle, and assigns him to deal with the problem of the Yakuza in the metroplex.
- Oxford and Edinburgh Universities establish Batchelor of Science degrees in occult studies.
- World Combat Cyclists Leage (WCCL) founded. Combat Biker becomes a major sport.
2027: Fusion power
- Desperate to alleviate water shortages, the Los Angeles Power and Water Company pioneers the first use of cold fusion technology, which produces fresh water from salt water as a by-product.
- The Lord Protector’s office (England) drafts the Magical Practitioners Registration Bill, which Parliament passes into law.
- A major earthquake hits Los Angeles, destroying LAX
- Cambridge institutes a magical studies program.
- Britain withdraws from the European Economic Community (EEC).
2029: The Big Computer Crash
- Sony Cybersystems, Fuchi Industrial Electronics, and RCA-Unisys develop prototype cyberterminals.
- CIA, FBI, and NSA begin Echo Mirage project.
- The Salish-Shidhe Council (SSC) opens its borders to all metahumans (not just Native Americans). The Sinsearach elf tribe is founded in the southern region.
- Feb 8: the Crash Virus of 2029 cripples computers worldwide.
- Aug: Presidential emergency order drafts corporate and university hackers into Echo Mirage to combat the virus.
- Ghoul nation of Asamando founded in Africa.
- Oct 15: Act of Union signed in Washington D.C.; Canada and the USA merge into the UCAS.
- Awakened forces in Russia seize Siberia.
- Brian O’Malley is shot and killed in his home by Yakuza assassins. A retaliatory hit the next day kills the Yakuza oyabun responsible, along with his lieutenants. Losses on both sides of the Mafia/Yakuza conflict result in a truce. Patrick Finnigan becomes Capo of his family and the Don of Seattle.
A New World Order (2031-2040)
- Beginning of the Euro-Wars.
- Late: Echo Mirage finishes off the virus (7 survivors); second-generation cyberterminals are desk-sized.
- James O’Malley, capo of Milwaukee and Brian’s older brother, becomes obsessed with revenge against the Yakuza. He neglects his city’s operations so dramatically that the Commissione strips him of his position and forces him to retire.
2032: Eurowar I
- Eurowar I: Poland surrenders to Russia.
- Eurowar I: Russian troops attack Berlin.
- Eurowar I: Great Britain deploys troops in Netherlands and Flanders.
- Olympic Games are cancelled.
- A consortium of Corporate Court members, Ares, Aztechnology, BMW, JRJ International, Mitsuhama, Renraku, and Shiawase, takes over Global Financial Services.
- The Corporate Court involves itself in the reconstruction of worldwide communications lines, known as the Matrix.
- Michel Beloit, head of BMW, dies. His widow Wilhelmina Graff-Beloit becomes Chairman of the Board.
- A dozen large Filipino and Japanese companies merge to form Yamatetsu.
- Sep 28: Lone Star Security Services is granted extraterritoriality.
- UCAS government grants Lone Star Security Services a contract to privatize the Drug Enforcement Agency duties.
- The UCAS’ American Medical Association establishes rule for the medical use of magic.
- Creation of the Technocratic Party in the UCAS.
- Nov 2: UCAS President Andrew McAlister is re-elected in the first election held since the creation of the UCAS.
- The Human-Metahuman Vampiric Virus is isolated.
- The Corporate Court takes over the ITCC, placing RTG regulation firmly in its jurisdiction. The name of the authority is changed to the Corporate Court Matrix Authority (CCMA).
- Baseball becomes the first major league sport to allow cyberware.
2033: Nightwraith strikes, Nanosecond Buyout
- Jan 23: Nightwraith airstrike. Fighter-bombers attack key C&C centers on all sides of the Euro-Wars, bringing the fighting to a screeching halt. Whodunit? Swedish air surveillance implies that the aircraft were of U.K. origin, but this is denied by the government.
- Nanosecond Buyout: Damien Knight takes control of Ares.
- To rebuild gumis nearly crippled in the conflicts with the Mafia, the Japanese Yakuza send a new upper echelon of Koreans to Seattle. These Korean leaders begin aggressively reclaiming lost territory.
2034: Amazonia, CAS, Tir Na nÓg, Fuchi rising
- Amazonia founded.
- The Confederate American States secede from the UCAS.
- Aztlan withdraws from the STC and the NAN.
- South Florida joins the Caribbean League.
- Richard Villiers becomes one-third of Fuchi Industrial Elec.
- May: Matrix Systems, Boston, releases first gray-market cyberterminal.
- Jun: Matrix Systems suffers a computer crash and its two primary shareholders die in “unrelated accidents”
- Jul: Richard Villiers, the remaining majority shareholder, buys into Fuchi with the Matrix Systems technology.
- Dec 25: formation of Tír na nÓg announced.
2035: Tir Tairngire
- Mar: Liam O’Connor becomes State President of Tír na nÓg.
- The Ceneste branch of the Sinsearach elves establish the elven nation of Tir Tairngire (TT).
- TT secedes from the NAN.
- Lugh Surehand appointed High Prince of TT.
- Tsimshian secedes from the NAN.
- Aztlan invades Texas, capturing the cities of Austin and San Antonio. The CAS refuses to support Texan resistance, causing Texas to secede (briefly, they were re-admitted 4 months later).
2036: California Free State
- UCAS President McAlister withdraws all federal support from California after they threaten secession. Seeya!
- Tir Tairngire invades south to Redding.
- Aztlan invades north to San Diego.
- Japan takes control of San Francisco.
- Alamos 20,000 claims responsibility for the firebombing of a town in rural Ohio, their first public atrocity. 20 people (mostly metahuman) die.
- 14th Amendment to the UCAS Constitution: SINs.
- Fuchi markets 3rd-generation cyberdeck, desktop CDT-1000.
- Akiko Kano and Arthur White-Eagle earn the Nobel Prize for the “Kano-White Eagle Theory of Metaphysical Phenomena”.
- Regeneration and transformation of regional forests begins in Scotland.
- Open war in Italy is only avoided when Pope John XXV negotiates a settlement between the corporations and the sindaci (mayors). The cities of Genoa, Milan and Turin are written off as a catastrophe zone and renamed the Special Administrative Zone of Genoa-Milan-Turin (GeMiTo).
2037: Denver Data Haven
- Emotive simsense. Hello, BTL!
- Denver Data Haven shows up in the shadows. (Physical location: the old USAF Academy in Colorado Springs).
- DocWagon founded.
- Lofwyr announces 63% ownership of Saeder-Krupp, votes himself chairman of the board, president, and CEO.
- Guerilla warfare in northern California pushes Tir Tairngire back north as far as Yreka. The territory between Redding and Yreka becomes neutral ground, claimed by both sides.
- Wolves and bears are restored to the Scottish Wild Lands.
- First North American Urban Brawl championship, “Super Brawl”.
2039: Night of Rage
- Feb 7: Thousands of metas, friends & family, and wannabes die in global riots. New York City: 836 dead. Seattle: “Hands of Five” terrorist group firebombs the metahuman detention centier on the Tacoma docks.
- Feb 10: Alamos 20k destroys the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- St. Patricks Day: Boston, Knights of the Red Branch bomb an elven restaurant on the parade route, killing 24 and inciting a race riot that claimed hundreds more.
- Nadja Daviar becomes the Big D’s third interpreter.
- Charleston, SC: Serial killer caught and convicted on evidence obtained from a ghost.
- Fuchi sponsors the Universal Matrix Specifications (UMS) conference, Tokyo.
- A massive chemical spill kills 70,000 people in Teesside, England.
- Southern Africa unites into Azanian Alliance, composed of the Cape Republic, Oranje-Vrystaat, Trans-Swazi Federation, and Zulu Nation.
- Renraku Arcology in Seattle begins construction.
- The Universal Brotherhood opens shop (CFS in ’42, Seattle in ’45).
Corporate Mess (2041-2050)
- EuroAir Flight 329 from London to Atlanta destroyed by Sirrurg
- Policlubs appear in Europe.
- Yamatetsu makes its bid for prime megorporate status, sparking light corporate war.
- Dunkelzahn begins semi-annual “Wyrm Talk”.
- Akira Watada, oyabun of the Watada-rengo, issues an ultimatum to the Korean oyabuns of Seattle. They must pledge their loyalty to the Watada rengo or suffer the consequences.
- Ares project: Cydonia discovers Operation Discovery crash, Veil agents engineer a hoax to cover it: The cheesy UFO photo made public 15 years later by Dunkelzahn’s Will.
- Liam O’Connor (President of Tír na nÓg) disappears from public life.
- First biannual international Urban Brawl World Cup
- In the Papal States, Italian Confederation, Pope John XXV declares that women may now be appointed priests in the Catholic Church.
- Yamatetsu elbows its way into the Big Seven, becoming the Eighth major megacorp.
2043: Seoulpa Rings
- Jan: Watada-rengo assassins invade Seattle and kill the vast majority of the Seattle Yakuza’s Korean leadership. The survivors are forced to pledge loyalty to the Japanese rengo or be executed. New Japanese managers are put in place, and within a few weeks the Japanese Yakuza once again control the Seattle Yakuza.
- Former Korean Yakuza oyabun Park Jai Kyu begins organizing the Seoulpa Rings in Seattle with the help of his remaining contacts and followers. The concept catches fire and begins to spread through the metroplex and the rest of North America.
- Rhiannon Glendower becomes Countess of Snowdon.
- Gwynedd elves make major advances in Welsh regional parliament.
- The Netherlands and Flanders merge and form the United Netherlands.
2044: The Oyabun
- Hanzo Shotozumi is appointed the oyabun of the 87th Prefecture in Seattle. He re-institutes and enforces traditional Yakuza ways and values, and begins an aggressive campaign to expand Yakuza operations in the Pacific Northwest.
- Olympic games are held again, the first time since 2032. Multinational teams backed by corporate interests are allowed to compete.
- German Alliance founded.
- Don Patrick Finnigan is failing to hold the line against Yakuza encroachment in the Seattle metroplex, and so the Commissione calls Don James O’Malley out of enforced retirement to resume control of Seattle operations. O’Malley is appointed Don of Seattle specifically to slow Yakuza growth in the metroplex. He, his wife, and his 15-year-old daughter Rowena move to Seattle.
- The Seoulpa Rings start making a name for themselves in the Seattle underworld as their operations expand; they begin to encroach on the markets of the other syndicates.
- 2045-2047: Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua are accepted into the Aztlaner republic.
2046: The Lost Election
- A team of rogue deckers erases the results of California’s gubernatorial election, allegedly aided by a Los Angeles street gang. The so-called Lost Election prompts the government to declare ware on the “criminal element” in Los Angeles, sending army and corporate mercenary troops to raze El Infierno. After fighting a losing battle, California’s central government declares Los Angeles a Free City.
- Para-VITAS outbreak in Tynesprawl (England) kills 120,000. Believed to be the work of unidentified eco-terrorists.
- Cyberware allowed in professional football and basketball.
2048: Operation Reciprocity
- Panama admitted into Aztlan.
- Aztlan (Aztechnology) nationalizes all foreign businesses. Corporate Court authorizes a joint corporate military strike, “Operation Reciprocity”, against Aztechnology.
- Veracruz Settlement: Aztechnology pays reparations.
- Panama canal becomes a Pan-Corporate Zone under the Corporate Court.
- Colbert Group CEO Alan Adams is elected president of the UCAS.
- Renraku develops first Semi-Autonomous Knowbot (SK).
- Aztlan and Amazonia squabble over Colombia and Venezuela.
- Seventh-gen cyberdeck (keyboard size).
Welcome To Our World (2051-2060)
2052: Technology curve
- 2XS, BTL with a kick.
- Bioware hits the public market.
- Seattle-Tir Tairngire trade agreement, by which Seattle becomes Tir Tairngire’s major port.
- UCAS Pres Adams died after re-election, VP Thomas Steele takes the Big Chair.
2053: A New Great Dragon.
- Hestaby takes possession of Shasta Dam and surrounding territory in Northern California, repelling a Tir Tairngire attack.
- Publication of Anchoring theorems.
- Proteus corp completes two arkoblocks (offshore Arcologies) in Japan.
- Tentative discovery of Atlantis (Thera) 150 miles off Crete.
- Tir Tairngire locks down Crater Lake.
2055: The UB (Universal Brotherhood)
- Acting on ‘tips’ from Ares, the UCAS FBI discovers that insect spirits control the UB and shut it down, but without making the reasons public. Cover story of financial corruption. Other nations take similar steps, and the UB is completely shut down by ’56. Ares assists in destructive raids against local hives, which are reported as widespread incidents of “unmotivated terrorist violence” against the Universal Brotherhood.
- Aug 22: A Knight Errant Firewatch team attack what may be the largest insect hive in North America. It does not have the anticipated effect. A swarm of bug spirits spills out of the hive to infest the city of Chicago.
- Aug 23: The UCAS government sets up the Chicago Containment Zone, isolating most of the population of Chicago behind UCAS Army barricades. Those trapped include the Chicago Mafia, as well as the Chicago branches of the other major syndicates. The Mafia loses contact with the Don of Chicago and the Commissione believes him dead. It transfers control of Chicago operations to Don Leo McCaskill of Milwaukee, a former lieutenant of James O’Malley.
- Chicago Containment Zone is explained to the public as securing against a virulent outbreak of VITAS.
- Early October: The remains of the Knight Errant Firewatch team inside the Chicago Containment Zone detonate a subtactical thermonuclear warhead inside the new core hive. The blast and radiation effects are much lower than expected, but knock virtually all the insect spirits in Chicago into torpor.
2056: Year of the Bug
- Late December 2055-January 2056: The truth about the Chicago Containment Zone is disseminated to the public at large via Shadowland, the Denver Data Haven, etc. via the Bug City download. The UCAS government can no longer sustain its coverup of the Zone, and the world knows that insect spirits and totems are, indeed, real.
- The UCAS Congress formally recognizes the great dragon Dunkelzahn as a legal citizen of the UCAS. Famous “handshake” between Dunkelzahn and President Thomas Steele sends the Technocrat ticket to the top of the polls.
- Nov: President Thomas Steele and Vice Pres James Booth overwhelmingly re-elected to office in “the dullest election of the 21st century”.
- Dec-Jan: UCAS Election results of 2056 are found to be rigged; House Speaker Betty Jo Pritchard declares the election null and void and announces new elections. Congress approves short campaign season of under eight months, with Election Day re-scheduled to Tuesday, 7 Aug 2057.
2057: Year of the Dragon
- Mar 15: Dunkelzahn announces his intention to run for President on a historic broadcast of “Wyrm Talk!”
- Apr 20: All eight megacorporations suffer security breaches and system shutdowns at midnight, followed by extortion demands by a unidentified decker who leaves behind an enigmatic negative portrait of the Mona Lisa. The decker is later dubbed “Leonardo” and is rumored to be an elven genius of enormous intellect.
- July 19: Republican candidate General Franklin Yeats found murdered in his hotel room
- Aug 7: The great dragon Dunkelzahn is declared the winner of the 2057 Presidential Election by a narrow margin.
- Aug 9: President Dunkelzahn is assassinated in the Presidential limo as he leaves the Watergate Hotel.
- Aug 15: Dunkelzahn’s Will is officialy read and spread accros the Matrix. The Draco Foundation is founded.
- Aug 15: Miles Lanier (Fuchi chief of security) leaves Fuchi to join the board of directors of Renraku Computer Systems.
- Aug 20: Arthur Vogel becomes president of Sierra, Inc.
- Aug 22: Nadja Daviar grants Damien Knight voting control over Gavilan Ventures (Ares stock portfolio) for 2 years
- Aug 31, 02:55:23 EST: The Players (of the Awakened World) is uploaded to the Shadowland BBS by system administrator Captain Chaos.
- Sep 12: Wu Lung-Wai announces dramatic expansion plans for Wuxing, Inc.
- Oct: The dons of the Bigio and Ciarniello families in Seattle begin meeting covertly with Sergei Malenkin, a representative of a group of super-killers known as Chimera.
2058: Year of the Mob
- Jan 1: Don James O’Malley is shot and killed by a Chimera assassin at his home in Seattle.
- Jan 4: O’Malley’s funeral is held in Seattle, with all the major Mafia figures of the metroplex in attendance. Hanzo Shotozumi appears with a Yakuza honor guard to pay his respects to his fallen rival and inform the remaining Mafia bosses of Seattle that the Yakuza is not responsible for O’Malley’s death. He also delivers a veiled threat implying that the Yakuza plans to retake all the territory it has lost to the Mafia to date.
- Jan 4: Following her father’s funeral, Rowena O’Malley informs the Finnigan family’s leaders and advisors that she intends to claim leadership of the Family and of the Seattle Mafia as her father’s sole heir. The announcement creates a considerable stir among the Mafiosi gathered at the meeting, but Rowena quickly gains the support of the Finnigan family with the help of her father’s consiglieri, Al Cavalieri.
- Jan 5: Inspired by Don O’Malley’s death and the brewing potential for Mob War in Seattle, the first of the Underworld collection of files is posted on Shadowland. Shadowrunners begin to take notice of the Seattle syndicates.
- Jan 5: Rowena O’Malley delivers word of her intentions to become capa of Seattle to the heads of the other Seattle Families as well as to Don McCaskill and the Commissione. The Inner Circle of the Commissione places responsibility for the Seattle situation in McCaskill’s hands.
- Jan 5: Word goes out among Seattle’s gangs that the Yakuza is recruiting gangers as soldiers in its aggressive expansion plan. Some gangs join up; others are wary of the offer.
- Jan 7: Yakuza soldiers start muscling in on Mafia-run gambling operations and businesses in the metroplex. Sporadic fights break out between the Yaks and Mafia enforcers.
- Jan 8: An assassination attempt against Rowena O’Malley is narrowly averted. The attempt only strengthens her determination to gain control over the Seattle Mafia and put an end to the conflict.
- Feb 22: Ares implements “Operation Extermination,” a large-scale physical and magical assault on the insect spirits infesting the Chicago Containment Zone. The Chicago quarantine is officially lifted in President Haeffner’s State of the Union address.
- Ares uses FAB Strain III, an astrally active bacteria, to target Bug Spirits in the Zone. Unfortunately, Strain III does not restrict its depredation to insect spirits — it affects all astral objects and beings. Chicago’s ghoul community is devastated.
2059: Year of the Corp
- ??: The Commissione has made its decision, and the big winner is Maurice “the Butcher” Bigio as the new Don of Seattle, chosen over Rowena O’Malley. The Mafia bigwigs were forced to step in and make the choice before the newly united Yakuza clans ate up what holdings the mafioso had left. But the yaks have worries of their own now, having claimed independence from the oyabun in Japan…
- Jan 7: Tadamako Shibanokuji, chairmain of Yamatetsu’s board of directors, suffers a debilitating stroke. Control of his stock shares goes to Yamatetsu CEO Saru Iwano.
- Feb 22: Tadamako Shibanokuji dies in a Yamatetsu hospital in Kyoto. Control of his stock reverts to his son, Yuri Shibanokuji (an ork).
- May 5: Yamatetsu announces relocation of its corporate headquarters to Vladivostok, Russia.
- May 16: Dosan Aburakoji, one of Mitsuhama’s Corporate Court representatives, commits suicide in his Kyoto home.
- Jun 6: Fuchi brings suit against Renraku in the Corporate Court, accusing them of using Miles Lanier’s inside knowledge to steal Fuchi trade secrets. Within 24 hours, the charges are dropped. Lanier leaves Renraku, selling his four million shares of Renraku stock to the Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaftsbank.
- Jun 16: Navroz Chandaria of Renraku is named to the Corporate Court seat left vacant by Aburakoji’s death.
- Jul 8: Pacific Prosperity Group officially forms.
- Jul 11: Flight 1118 from Tokyo crashes into Seattle’s Redmond Barrens, on the Salish-Shidhe border. Nearly 200 people are killed in the plane and on the ground, hundreds more are injured and fires rage out of control throughout the district for more than 24 hours.
- Jul 19: David Hague, one of Fuchi’s Corporate Court representatives, is found dead in Redmond, Seattle.
- Aug 15: Li Feng of Wuxing, Inc. is named to the Corporate Court seat left vacant by Hague’s death.
- Aug 22: Nadja Daviar regains control of the Ares stock owned by Gavilan Ventures.
- Sep 29: “White Monday” The Tokyo Stock Exchange suffers its largest single-day drop in 70 years.
- Oct 6: Richard Villiers of Fuchi announces the formation of Novatech, Inc., which continues Villiers’ strategy of acquiring large portions of Fuchi. Miles Lanier is appointed Novatech’s director of security.
- Oct 20: Leonard Aurelius sells all of his Ares stock to Arthur Vogel. Vogel steps down as president of Sierra, Inc., and is replaced by Gary Grey.
- Oct 27: Leonard Aurelius joins the board of directors of Cross Applied Technologies.
- Dec 15: Anna Villalobos replaces Domingo Chavez as Aztechnology’s representative on the Corporate Court.
- Dec 19: The Renraku Arcology is closed to visitors for an indefinite period due to problems with its computer systems.
2060: Year of the AI (Renraku Arcology Shutdown)
- Feb 3: Renraku CEO Inazo Aneki begins an indefinite leave of absence. Haruhiko Nakada takes over as Interim CEO.
- Mar 19: A virus of unknown origin attacks Seattle’s Matrix RTG. People accessing the RTG suffer memory loss, psychotic episodes or brain death. The attack lasts for eleven minutes, then ends with no explanation or after effects.
- Mar 26: Navroz Chandaria, one of Renraku’s Corporate Court reps, dies in a terrorist bombing in New Delhi.
- Apr 5: Shikei Nakatomi of Fuchi purchases four million shares of stock in Renraku from the Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaft Bank. Renraku begins acquiring large portions of Fuchi.
- Apr 15: Yves Aquillon of Cross Applied Technologies gains the Corporate Court seat left vacant by Chandaria’s death.
- Jun 7: Korin Yamana of Fuchi announces his marriage to Mitsuko Shiawase of Shiawase Envirotech.
- Jun 14: Shiawase Corporation purchases all remaining assets of Fuchi Industrial Electronics. Korin Yamana accepts a position on Shiawase’s board of directors.
- Jun 15: Neil Benson replaces Francesco Napoli as Renraku’s rep on the Corporate Court.
- Jul 28: Fuchi Industrial Electronics is officially dissolved.
A New Spin (2061-2064)
2061: Year of the Comet
- Jan: Comet hype begins.
- Jan-Sep: The first leg of the “Probe Race”, as the space megacorps compete to be the first to send a probe to the comet. One by one, each probe falls victims to accident or sabotage.
- Mar 19: A citywide power failure cripples the Seattle RTG for a short period, forcing many users and hosts offline and impeding other Matrix functions.
- May 7: Inazo Aneki returns from his convalescence in Tibet.
- May: Cooperating with an otaku alliance called Overwatch, Aneki enters the Renraku Arcology and uses hard-wired “kill codes” to disable the rogue artificial intelligence that has kept the arcology locked down for the past sixteen months. Deus is apparently destroyed. Aneki commits suicide. Public credit for ending the shutdown goes to Sherman Huang, despite the crucial role played by anonymous shadowrunners.
- Late May: Inazo Aneki’s death is announced publicly. Details are vague. Hot contenders for the now-vacant position of Renraku CEO are Sherman Huang and current acting CEO Haruhiko Nakada.
- Aug: Typhoons batter the Philippines.
- Sep: Halley’s Comet becomes visible to the naked eye.
- Sep 4: The first reported cases of SURGE express.
- Sep 4: Ibn Eisa, leader of the Islamic Unity Movement, is assassinated.
- Sep 9: Ibn Eisa rises from the dead, proclaims a New Islamic Jihad.
- Sep 10: SURGE sweeps the globe, continues at a regular pace.
- Sep 12: Paranoia about SURGE sparks riots, attacks and urban unrest.
- Oct: SURGE backlash continues in full swing, with riots and attacks on metahumans.
- Oct 27: Major earthquakes and volcanic activity shake the entire ‘Ring of Fire’ on both sides of the Pacific Ocean. Among the casualties is nearly the entire Japanese Imperial family. The Bay Area in California is trampled by an earthquake; six volcanic eruptions and an earthquake wreck the Philippines; many other PacRim areas are also devastated.
- Oct 29: The Japanese Diet orders the withdrawal of Imperial troops from foreign soil to assist with disaster relief and to rebuild Japan.
- Nov: Halley’s Comet temporarily disappears from view.
- Nov: General Saito refuses the Diet’s withdrawal order, staging a military coup in San Francisco backed by loyal troops and Japanese megacorps. Saito’s troops quickly move into the Central Valley, seizing Sacramento and key sites. Ares moves troops in to defend Silicon Valley.
- Nov 1: Ancestor spirits warn of the “return of the dead.”
- Nov 27: The news of the discovery of natural orichalcum deposits sparks an Orichalcum Rush.
- Dec 2: An earthquake demolishes the free city of Los Angeles; walls go down, riots and looting sweeps the city.
- Dec 8: The Pueblo Corporate Council moves in troops, seizing Los Angeles and the outlying areas. The PCC makes all Los Angeles residents probationary citizens.
- Dec 24: The astral form of Ghostwalker breaks through the Dunkelzahn Rift, followed by a wave of spirits; Ghostwalker appears in Denver, destroying the Aztlan teocalli and rampaging through the city; the dragon wages a guerilla warfare campaign against the city in the weeks that follow.
- Dec 24: The first reported “zombie” (shedim) attack occurs; many more are reported in the weeks that follow.
- Dec 25: Ghostwalker secretly meets with Aina Dupree and Nadja Daviar of the Draco Foundation, as well as SilveryK (the Nexus) and Ryan Mercury (Assets, Inc.)
- The CCMA creates a new Matrix policing agency in response to the arcology situation and grid shutdowns, called the Grid Overwatch Division (GOD).
2062: After the Comet
- Jan: The CAS offers a bounty for magicians who reanimate corpses.
- Jan: Aztlan moves military troops into their sector in Denver in direct violation of the Treaty of Denver; the other sectors also reinforce their borders with troops.
- Jan 3: The sole survivor of the Japanese imperial family, the child Yasuhito, is revealed to the world and is made Emperor two days later.
- Jan 27: The Council of Denver meets with Ghostwalker; Ghostwalker is given control of the city; Aztlan is kicked out of Denver; CAS troops invade and take control of the Aztlan sector.
- Feb: The Emperor rescinds the Yomi Island decree, ending the forced deportation of metahumans to that island. The Philippines enter open revolution against occupying Japanese forces.
- Feb 5: Aztlan/Aztechnology military forces start a slash and burn of the Yucatan.
- Mar: Halley’s Comet becomes visible to the naked eye again.
- Mar 15: Earthquakes and tsunami devastate the Yucatan Peninsula, where Aztlan had been fighting independence forces with escalating bloodshed (and blood magic). In the aftermath, spirits, natural and toxic, engage in open warfare against all sides.
- March-April: Ares lands a probe on the 2nd pass of Halley’s Comet, which sends back telemetry, establishing Ares as the winner of the Probe race.
- April: Halley’s Comet disappears from view. All known natural orichalcum deposits run dry; no new deposits are located. New SURGE cases decrease to a trickle.
- May 2-5: Armed combat erupts on the Salish-Shidhe/Tsimshian border resulting in thousands dead from an apparent biological weapon. Ceasefire agreed to on the 5th, but would be broken by SSC militias in July.
- June: Lofwyr and Aithne Oakforest retire from the Tir Tairngire Council of Princes.
- July: The Republic of Québec begins a trial period allowing English to be used in business transactions.
- July: Great Dragon Hestaby, who had guarded northern California Free State from Tir Tairngire, joins the Tir High Council of Princes, replacing departing Lofwyr.
2063: Crash 2.0
- Fall: The hostile AI Deus, who had escaped his destruction in the Renraku Arcology, attempts to use Novatech‘s Initial Public Offering (which had potential to be the biggest Matrix event on record) to upgrade itself to Matrix godhood. Efforts by an opposing AI (Megaera, who was to an extent Deus’ mother/prototype) and a former acolyte who had allied with the radical terrorist organization, Winternight (who sought to bring Ragnarok) disrupt this, and as an after effect, crash nearly the entire Matrix, with major hardware damage. In addition to the damage to the Matrix, a large number of people are trapped within the Matrix for some time. A number of those who survived, as well as those who were otaku prior to the Crash begin to note that they now have a deeper connection to the Matrix that no longer fades with age – the first technomancers are born.
- Fall: Transys Neuronet and Erika, who had been designing and hoping to implement a new wireless Matrix interface, step forward and become the leading elements in the rebuilding of the Matrix.
- Fall: Lucian Cross, CEO of Cross Applied Technologies, dies in a plane crash. Damien Knight, and thus Ares, quickly moves to seize as much of his greatest rival as possible.
- November 2 – The world is crippled as a combination of a deadly Dissonance Matrix worm and surgical nuclear EMP strikes from Winternight nearly destroy the entire Matrix, causing it to crash. This event occurred in concert with the Novatech IPO.
- November 3 – The New Revolution coup. A group known as the New Revolution attempts a failed coup of the UCAS government, and other governments within the former United States of America. President Kyle Haeffner and Secretary of Defense Stratta are assassinated. Vice President Nadja Daviar survives an assassination attempt. Acting-President Gene Simone orders General Angela Colloton to declare martial law.
The Wireless World (2065-Present Day)
- Feb 12–16: The second Global Matrix Conference is held at Transys-Erika’s Silicon Glen corporate facilities near Edinburgh.
- Novatech merges with Transys Neuronet and Erika to form the new megacorporation NeoNET
- Mitsuhama Computer Technologies pulls out of the plundered NAN of Tsimshian. The Salish-Shidhe Council quickly moved in and declared the nation a protectorate. This has led to some unease within the Native American Nations as a whole.
- Crippled from the Crash, Ute Nation is absorbed into the Pueblo Corporate Council.
- Nov 6: General Angela Colloton is elected President of the UCAS.
- Early 2069: A pair of major earthquakes from the San Andreas and San Pedro Shelf fault lines cause widespread destruction never seen before in California. Parts of Southern California and the Central Valley fall below sea level, and Los Angeles as well as other coastal cities are cut off from the mainland, effectively becoming islands.
- General Saito is removed from California.
2070: A Brave New Wireless World
- Kenneth Brackhaven is elected Governor of the Seattle Metroplex.
- Jun 29: A Mitsuhama research facility operating out of an AIPS ward in Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Hong Kong is raided by a NeoNET extraction team targeting MCT’s lead researcher into the Technomancer phenomena, Dr. Thomas Shalbermat. Due to unforeseen complications, the AIPS ward and research facility are completely destroyed as Mitsuhama attempts to conceal its research.
- Jul-Aug: Technomancers are vilified by Mitsuhama, and blamed for the destruction of Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Technomancers are hunted and persecuted as a result.
- Aug 17: The AI Sojourner seizes control of Tlaloc station, Aztechnology’s orbital biological weapon’s reasearch platform, and threatens to launch the payload at major urban centers unless all AI’s are freed from captivity.
- Oct 19: The AI Pulsar successfully negotiates with Sojourner for the release of the Tlaloc station, thus bringing an end to the crisis.